For much of this arduous work, they use a trail dozer which is a powerful workhorse that enables them to blade a new trail with ease, as long as soil moisture levels are favorable. The trails at Cronan Ranch continuously need attention to keep them usable for the public and our BLM staff do an incredible job making that happen! (BLM CA Website)
Cronan Ranch Trailhead is located in Pilot Hill, California. The area contains 12 miles of trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, bird watching and other passive recreation. There is a wide variety of terrain to choose from, including gently sloped to challenging hills, oak woodland and gentle riverfront trails. Each season offers a diverse experience.
The land for Cronan Ranch and river trail corridor was purchased by the American River Conservancy, BLM and other partners over a period of 16 years and placed into public trust to be used for recreation and wildlife conservation. The purchase was made possible through generous donations by individuals, private foundations and government agencies, including the Wildlife Conservation Board and the California State Resources Agency.
Cronan Ranch connects with the South Fork American River corridor trail that runs from Greenwood Creek to Salmon Falls. For more information, see our South Fork American River webpage.
What you need to know:
- Cronan Ranch is a Day-Use area only. No overnight camping.
- Only non-motorized recreational activities such as hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and other similar passive activities are allowed.
- Portions of this trail system border private property. Please respect the rights of private property owners by staying on designated routes at all times.
- Please be aware that there are mountain lions and rattlesnakes in the area.
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Fuelwood cutting and collection is prohibited.
- A Special Recreation Use Permit is required for all commercial, organized groups, or competitive activities.
Pack it in - pack it out... and pack a little extra if you can. Help us keep this area clean.
Other BLM Trailheads:
Magnolia Ranch Trailhead
Greenwood Creek River Access
Return To: BLM, Mother Lode Field Office
Cronan Ranch Trailhead website: